Monday, December 14, 2020

Just call it Dragon Age: Nobody


'Tis the season I guess. After the teaser trailer for the "Next Mass Effect", Bioware gave us a new teaser for Dragon Age 4. We've known about this game at least since 2018, when the first teaser trailer was announced showing absolutely nothing. This trailer is pretty much the same.

I can't escape the feeling that the execs at EA burned their fingers experimenting with Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem, and are trying to steer back to what worked.

While I find that commendable it was brought to my attention that the people that made Mass Effect and Dragon Age IPs great in the first place are no longer with Bioware. Following the convergence of Blizzard, I know I can expect as much leftist agenda pushed in the game as humanly possible. To be honest, DA games had that problem since DA: Origins.

With that in mind, I don't have my hopes up.

Still, I did like DA:O, and DA:O - Awakening. I even enjoyed Dragon Age II for all its many flaws. But DA: Inquisition, while at times enjoyable was the first DA game I never finished. The writers managed to sour the story for me.

In the first game you were a Grey Warden trying to save a kingdom of Ferelden before the Blight, and in 2nd you were a human noble playing the politics in a city state. In the third game you led the Inquisition against who knows what. The 4th game promises you'll be a nobody.

"It's time for a new hero. No magic hand. No ancient prophecy. The kind of person they'll never see coming ... This is your story."

I have my doubts about the levels of freedom implied here.

And, what's with those "next", "next", "next"? Is it still so far from release that the game doesn't even have a name?

Just call it: Dragon Age: Nobody

Also, Varric is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment